[c-nsp] 7206 NVRAM issue

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at cba.com.au
Wed Dec 26 19:52:39 EST 2012

    0n Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 09:09:48AM +1100, Joseph Mays wrote:

    >Got a used 7206 I am trying to bring back to life. It seems to be able to
    >read the PCMCIA card in the slot okay, but after a power cycle it loses
    >config and claims the NVRAM is corrupt, throwing me to rommon. From there I
    >can tell it to boot from disk0 and it boots alright from the PCMCIA card
    >into the default config. Needless to say, any config I have entered gets
    >lost. Which NVRAM is it referring to? The 4 meg on the motherboard? Is
    >there anyway to clear and reset that, or does it just need to be replaced?
    >
    >Warning: monitor nvram area is corrupt ... using default values C7200
    >platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory
    >
    >[after a power cycle....]
    >
    >System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(4r)B, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support:
    >http://www.cisco.com/tac Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    >
    >Warning: monitor nvram area is corrupt ... using default values C7200
    >platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory
    >
    >rommon 1 > boot disk0

I have seen a very similar hardware bug on 65K-SUP720s: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/200/fn27595.html

   -Alex

This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information which may be
confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by return email, do not use or
disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Unless
specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice or commitment by the sender
or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124) or its subsidiaries.
We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au.
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please reply to this
e-mail by typing Unsubscribe in the subject line.