[c-nsp] 2651xm packet loss with 200 ft ethernet link

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Mon Dec 31 15:03:59 EST 2012

Just a quick followup, as I got this resolved this morning (after seeing
the odd behavior continue on additional fastethernet interfaces on a
replacement router).

Turns out, the issue was ultimately with the wiring between the Level3
fuji ports and the jack panel where they officially hand us off the
circuits.

We bypassed the panel, terminating directly into their mux card, and the
packet loss vanished.

Still doesn't tell me why the 7200 interface was able to power it's way
through whatever was wrong...it's an older PA-FE-TX so I'm guessing the
old DEC chips are cranked up all the way to deal with older crappy wiring,
and it had enough juice to power through whatever is faulty in the
jackpanel.

Oh well. Fixed now. Thanks for all the replies on and off list suggesting
avenues for narrowing down the problem.

Andy