[c-nsp] prioritize VoIP and Skype traffic in office routers

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Feb 2 01:43:34 EST 2012

On Thursday, February 02, 2012 08:58:53 AM Martin T wrote:

> I thought manual RSVP reservation. For example there are
> four routers:
>
> gateway_A <-> ISP_router_A <-> ISP_router_B <-> gateway_B
>
> "gateway_A" and "gateway_B" would be under my management.
> I thought to configure "ip rsvp sender" and "ip rsvp
> reservation" to both gateway devices, but as much as I
> understand, this still requires ISP to configure it's
> router interfaces for handling RSVP requests.

You're talking about IntServ, which was signaling of
reservations via RSVP on a global basis.

This never quite took off, as there was no feasible way to
scale the Internet if it was full of RSVP reservations
across many different ISP's.

Even DSCP rarely cross AS boundaries (by rarely I mean that
you can find DSCP crossing AS boundaries in VPN NNI
arrangements, but not much else).

> I don't expect my QoS policy to be implemented end-to-end
> as my ISP doesn't support this. All I would like to
> insure is that prioritized traffic(VoIP and Skype) would
> get processed in my routers as fast as possible.

Okay, that makes sense then.

As some posters have already mentioned, if you're trying to
avoid congestion or microburst-induced drops at your border
router, then implementing QoS there might certainly help to
ensure you deliver your important traffic to the ISP first.

Mark.