[c-nsp] Traceroute results masking path to destination

Randy Heimann heimannrj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 08:39:52 EST 2012

Hello,

I am having some difficulty understanding some trace route results that I am
receiving from the network I am on.  If I tracert from my location (France),
the results are all masked with the destination address (Google's public
DNS).  I understand that something in the network is substituting the actual
hop address with the dest. address, but I do not completely understand why
this is happening or how it is being accomplished.

I presume the device right after 10.164.17.2 is the culprit; would this be a
firewall, proxy, or some other security device?

When I try to traceroute from the outside into my network, I get Request
time outs.

Appreciate any insight into this.

Regards,

Randy