[c-nsp] ASR100x route tables sanity check

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Feb 4 09:16:18 EST 2012

On 2012-02-04 15:00, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 04/02/2012 12:33, Mark Tinka wrote:
>> But the ESP5 isn't modular. It is a fixed ESP in the ASR1002
>> and ASR1001. I confirmed with our SE a while back - the
>> documentation on those tables is somewhat misleading.
>
> Can someone from Cisco clarify this?  The URL is quite specific.

Those are numbers from the control-plane point of view with 8GB of
RAM installed, so up to 1M routes. The Table 3 on the link you
provided shows forwarding-level perspective on the ASR1001 and
the ESP5 that is sitting inside of it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/data_sheet_c78-450070.html

ASR1001 can be a fine RR for your network, and has features that
limit number of FIB-installed entries, while the RIB can hold a lot
of them.

ESP5 on the other hand can store approx. 512k IPv4 routes *OR* 128k
IPv6 routes. For a mix of these, rule of thumb is pretty obvious - you
take 4 IPv4 routes for each 1 IPv6 route installed. Please note however
hardware specific checks like the one found on for example 6500/7600
units with carving of TCAM space are not present here - the mix will
be dynamic.

--
"There's no sense in being precise when |               Łukasz Bromirski
  you don't know what you're talking     |      jid:lbromirski at jabber.org
  about."               John von Neumann |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net