[c-nsp] Quick 6500 question...

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Feb 7 15:00:39 EST 2012

On 7 Feb 2012, at 15:29, Mack McBride <mack.mcbride at viawest.com> wrote:
> But the non-E is theoretically capable of much higher speed than the 40G cards supported.
> IIRC the E chassis is theoretically capable of about double the BW provided by the Sup2T.
> My take is that Cisco is intentionally overdesigning the chassis to reduce issues.

The issue is more that a backplane like this will have electrical characteristics which determine an expected BER, assuming that the electrical signalling operates over a particular bandwidth spectrum, and assuming a specified encoding method (we normally refer to electrical spectrum utilisation along with the particular encoding method as plain old "bandwidth" - although technically there is a difference between the two things).

So there is a trade off between the two.  I'm sure it's perfectly possible to run a non E chassis at 80g, but I'm equally sure that this would drive up the BER, and that people would complain about it.  Difficult to get away from physics.

Anyway, I don't really have an issue with this - the E chassis has been sold more or less exclusively since 2005 or so, so any remaining in deployment will be well past their accounting write off time.

Nick