[c-nsp] ASR9K P router

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Feb 9 11:44:29 EST 2012

On Wednesday, February 08, 2012 08:51:53 PM Ghassan Khalil
wrote:

> is their any concern that should be highlighted based on
> this ? shall there be any good references for this type
> of designs please let me know.

We use ASR9010's as P routers in some PoP's and as P/PE
routers in others. Solid box, no issues (although we just
had to RMA a line card, but that's life).

What others have said is true, you could swap roles and make
the 7600's P routers while using the ASR9010's as peering
routers.

Of course, Ethernet ports will likely be cheaper on the
ASR9000, considering the improved density and performance
per slot; but you only need to worry about this if your core
links are too dense for a 7600.

If you haven't yet bought the 7600's, use that money on the
ASR1000's instead if all you need are border routers.

Cheers,

Mark.