[c-nsp] Cisco's new 4500-X 10G Aggregation Switches

Jason Gurtz jasongurtz at npumail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:18:30 EST 2012

> So finally - a 10G 1RU SFP+ access device.  It seem to be targeted at
> enterprise aggregation but I imagine would have some appeal in service
> provide space too given the form factor and the fact that the only 10G
> alternates are 3560E-12D's (with X2), Nexus, and upwards from there is
> of course the 4500/6500 chassis based units.

Cat45xx-sup7 in a nice little box? Looks like a much improved 4900M in
many ways (1U-ness, SFP+-ness, perf upgrade, airflow path). Moves from 800
to 1100BTU/hr, but can't see that mattering in the applications I'm
thinking of.

Hopefully cheaper than the Nexus5500/2000fex route for us smaller folks.

~JasonG