[c-nsp] Cisco's new 4500-X 10G Aggregation Switches

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 12:34:41 EST 2012

On 10/02/12 02:24, Reuben Farrelly wrote:
> Looks like just up on CCO in the last week:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps10902/ps12332/data_sheet_c78-696791.html
>

> So finally - a 10G 1RU SFP+ access device. It seem to be targeted at
> enterprise aggregation but I imagine would have some appeal in service
> provide space too given the form factor and the fact that the only 10G
> alternates are 3560E-12D's (with X2), Nexus, and upwards from there is
> of course the 4500/6500 chassis based units.

I would urge anyone wanting 1U SFP+ 10G devices to consider the
excellent non-Cisco options as well.

Such devices can be had for very, very low prices, from a number of
vendors, with a number of interesting features.

They are not suitable for every need, but at <150GBP per 10G port after
aggressive discounts, they have had a profound effect on my thinking.