[c-nsp] Feedback on "terminal exec prompt timestamp"

Dmitry Valdov dv at dv.ru
Wed Feb 15 13:14:55 EST 2012

Changing defaults is a bad idea by default. People should think twice before
doing this.

It's very unconvinient to see extra (totally unuseful) information when
you're trying to find a problem. When I'm issuing a "show ip route" command I
don't want to see what time source and processor load are.

But as far as I could turn this off I'm fine. Just because I can run a script
which will turn this "feature" off on all my devices.

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Preston Chilcote (pchilcot) wrote:

> Some folks in TAC are pushing to get "terminal exec prompt timestamp"
> turned on by default.  This would add 2 lines to every command being
> run.  For example:
>
> Router#show arp
> Load for five secs: 4%/0%; one minute: 3%; five minutes: 3%
> Time source is NTP, 09:43:00.607 PST Wed Feb 15 2012
>
> We'd love to hear what you guys think.  Whether it would be annoying,
> impact operations (maybe scripts you have running), or does anyone use
> this routinely already?
>
> Negative and positive feedback is encouraged.
>
> Thanks,
> Preston Chilcote
> Cisco TAC

Dmitry Valdov