[c-nsp] Feedback on "terminal exec prompt timestamp"

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Feb 15 14:03:37 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 09:46 -0800, Preston Chilcote (pchilcot) wrote:
> Some folks in TAC are pushing to get "terminal exec prompt timestamp"
> turned on by default.
> We'd love to hear what you guys think.  Whether it would be annoying,
> impact operations (maybe scripts you have running), or does anyone use
> this routinely already?

We use this on every device that supports it. It has not bothered any of
our scripts. IMO a script dependant on information like that not being
present is less than optimal. And one could always use "terminal no exec
prompt timestamp" to be sure.

We also use "terminal monitor" (via line autocommand and with nohangup)
everywhere and thus already have scripts do "terminal no monitor".

Having a timestamp is a great help in troubleshooting and "forensics".
I'd prefer every line to have a timestamp though, including config mode
lines. Maybe a counter from the session start postfixed the hostname
like this:

(just logged in)
Hostname[0:00]#
Hostname[0:15]#sh int status
Load for five secs: 2%/0%; one minute: 2%; five minutes: 2%
Time source is NTP, 19:56:38.103 CET Wed Feb 15 2012

Hostname[0:17]#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Hostname[0:19](config)#int gi0/1
Hostname[0:22](config-if)#
(et cetera)

I'd vote for making it default. Since there are so many other things
that need to be pushed via a template it's not really a big deal for us
though.

--
Peter