[c-nsp] FWSM Throughput

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Thu Feb 16 21:12:28 EST 2012

On 16/02/2012, at 8:16 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> 5.5 Gb/s full duplex, which you could interpret as 11 Gb/s aggregate, but that really wouldn't be correct.  The connectivity between the FWSM and the backplane is essentially a 6-way gigabit ether channel.

The physical connection is 6x 1G links, but where does it say anything about 5.5_FD_ throughput?
The only documentation I have found speaks about throughput, and doesn't mention anything else.

> FWSM data sheet:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/ps4452/product_data_sheet0900aecd803e69c3.html

This doesn't indicate FD or HD…

Another interesting read:

http://cisconetwork.org.ua/1587051893/ch04lev1sec1.html

> Truth be told, with the newer ASA service module being available, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Cisco announce the FWSM for end-of-sale in the near future.  I haven't had the chance to put on

Agreed - Today, I would buy the ASA module (or appliance for migration to Nexus 7000).

Best Regards

Andrew