[c-nsp] CBAC and fragmented packets

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Fri Feb 17 03:35:21 EST 2012

Nikolay Shopik wrote:

> Because UDP is a connectionless protocol, fragmented UDP packets will be
> dropped if they arrive at the destination out of order.

Did you look at the packet dump I provided? What makes you think they
arrived out of order?

I guess CBAC may be closing the UDP "session" prematurely on seeing
only the first fragment, but it's just a guess. I am trying to
"debug ip inspect udp" but there are way to many "sessions".

> And most common sense is switch to TCP.

This workaround will require editing the registry on all the Windows
boxes in the domain. This can be done but very reluctantly.

> And did you tried add "ip inspect name FOO fragment"?

Yes I did, and it does not change anything. And there is no
"ip virtual reassembly" in this version of IOS.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru