[c-nsp] Creating a read-only user for RANCID

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 17 08:08:50 EST 2012

On 17/02/12 12:47, James Bensley wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to make a read only user on a device for rancid to login
> in with. The problem is that when I telnet in as the rancid user, and
> authenticate, I am dropped strait into priviledge exec mode which has
> a different prompt ('#'- hash, instead of '>' - greater than), which
> throws off the rancid expect script and it justs hangs.

My observation is that only usernames with privilege 0 and 1 are dropped
into the > prompt.

Usernames with privilege >= 2 go straight into the exec prompt.

It's been a while since I looked at the privilege stuff, but I'm fairly
sure this is by design; priv 0/1 are defined as the "read only" ones.

Any particular reason you've gone for priv==3?