[c-nsp] When do you upgrade IOS?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Feb 19 05:40:08 EST 2012

On Friday, February 17, 2012 05:45:31 AM Rick Martin wrote:

> So my questions are;

> 1.    What drives you to upgrade code on critical routers
> & switches?

For us, pretty much the same drivers as you have mentioned.

> 2.    Do you upgrade code on a fixed schedule if not
> driven to by some other immediate requirement?

Not for us. If it's not broken... :-).

What I will say is that for the last 3 years or so, we've
seen ourselves pretty much keeping up with code not because
we want to run the latest release, but mostly due to bug
fixes. These bug fixes are not necessarily fixing
vulnerabilities, as much as they are fixing issues with
features we're running.

We've also been deploying a lot of new-generation Cisco and
Juniper kit. This means we're on the latest software trains
because that's what you need to run the latest hardware.
This, many times, brings us back to bug fixing strategies
that drive code upgrades.

Mark.