[c-nsp] high CPU usage when coyping to flash

James Slepicka (c-nsp) cisco-nsp at slepicka.net
Mon Feb 27 13:13:13 EST 2012

I previously ran into this issue w/ 4500 + Sup6E running 12.2(52)SG.  OSPF adjacencies would drop during file transfers.  TAC pointed me to CSCsw84727:

Writing to bootflash creates instabilities when using low timers
Symptom:
Writing to bootflash creates instabilities when using low timers (< 10 sec)

Conditions:
- low timers for control protocols are in use (e.g. HSRP, OSPF, BGP)
- supervisor/switch is one of: Sup6-E, Sup6L-E, 4900M, 4948-E

Workaround:
Avoid lengthy bootflash operations, like copying really large files in IOS.
Upgrade to 12.2(50)SG06, 12.2(53)SG02, 12.2(54)SG or above.

I'm running 12.2(54)SG now.  It's been a while, but I seem to recall still seeing high CPU utilization during flash operations, but OSPF would remain stable.