[c-nsp] Cisco 7609-S - RSP SUP 720 3CXL - show ibc - high packets

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Jan 1 03:50:54 EST 2012

On (2011-12-31 16:21 -0800), Josh Coleman wrote:

> I already used the debug NETDR and the packets are hitting the cpu but its
> a variety from all the customers with different source / destinations.
> There is already the mls rate limits and I have done the show
> spanning-tree for unstable incase of layer2 loops.

When encountering this type of issue, pick one unwanted packet from
software and focus on it, it'll probably fix others too. Not seeing your
unwanted packets it's pretty impossible to suggest what might be wrong.

Perhaps you have rotten adjacencies in MLS or missing completely and
packets are hitting software for ICMP generation, but software works just
fine.
So look at packet, check its mls entries and adjacencies from each pfc/dfc,
ELAM capture to see which index it's hitting etc

> mls rate-limit unicast cef receive 10000 60

This is possibly worst thing you can configure to protect your router, it
is essentially downgrade of the CPU, as it starts dropping packets
indiscriminately earlier, as if you had less power to process them.

--
  ++ytti