[c-nsp] channel fails when using sup 10g port ?

Jeffrey G. Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Thu Jan 5 07:12:47 EST 2012

I am trying to use the sup720-10G  10g port and another 10g port on a 6708-10G module as an ether-channel pair.

Running IOS 12.2.SXI3

QOS enabled globally, but not enabled on 10G ports by default.  If I do a "show mls qos" it tells me that qos is NOT enabled on the 10G modules. (FIFO mode)

The command "mls qos 10g-only" must be run to enable it on the 10g ports, but you cannot use the 1g sup ports, which I do use. I have NOT enabled this feature.

When I set up the channel, I added the "no mls qos channel-consistancy".  Not sure if I need it do to the above issue, just our policy to make sure there is no mismatch issues.

When I try to bring up the channel I get the following … and the channel creates a data loop and everything goes to hell, so I shut down one port to break the loop.

Group  Port-channel  Protocol    Ports
------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------
16     Po16(SU)        LACP      Te13/1(P)
16     Po16A(SU)       LACP      Te7/4(P)

I have never seen the above documented anywhere but it definitely doesn't look right.

I have tried every config possible for the channel but it still fails. (LACP active/passive and ON)

The only thing I can think of is... there must be some issue with using the sup 10G port in a channel.

Any ideas out there before I open a case?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems
Princeton University