[c-nsp] Loopback IP set to .255 - 6500 responds to ICMP echo-request from wrong interface

Matt Buford matt at overloaded.net
Fri Jan 6 15:00:14 EST 2012

I have always avoided .0 and .255 as well, however a few months back I
noticed that Amazon ec2 is assigning .0 addresses to servers.  My own
"personal VPS" has a .0 public elastic/static IP and seems to work fine.  I
figure that if they're using .0 at their large scale, surely it can't be
too bad.  I have since begun using .0 again within my network and haven't
run into an issue yet.  I don't know that I've specifically used it as a
loopback on a router though.