[c-nsp] FIB table saving technique

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Mon Jan 9 11:56:13 EST 2012

This is definitely in the roadmap from discussions with Cisco.
However a firm date hasn't been given.
It appears to be fairly high priority as the routing table is growing and the 6500s and Nexus 7Ks
aren't going to get any larger TCAM (Stuck at 1M/0, 512K/256K, 640k/192K depending on how you chop it up).

Based on growth patterns the 512K mark is likely to be exceeded in 12 - 24 months.  The 640K mark is probably
18 - 36 months out.  I am planning on the 640K mark in about 24 months.
Larger IGP tables could already be pushing the 512K size limit.  I suspect we will see carriers dropping /24 de-aggregates if the routing table starts growing too fast.

LR Mack McBride
Network Architect