[c-nsp] LNS router options

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Fri Jan 13 05:07:57 EST 2012

> Looking for some "real life" experience with the following platforms(Or alternatives?) on how many dsl tails they can support:
> 2851 - Cisco stated performance: 220,00PPS (2RU)
> 2951 - Cisco stated performance: 580,000PPS (2RU) but assume quite $$?
> 3845 - Cisco stated performance: 500,00PPS (3RU?)
> 3925 - Cisco stated performance: 833,000PPS(3RU?) but assume quite $$?

If you're purely moving packets, the ISR G2s  (2951 / 3925) do exactly what they say on the tin, if not better.  Some incredible amounts of packet-shifting for the money.

If you need to configure even the slightest whiff of QoS, expect performance to drop by about 90%, even with exactly the same packet stream.  (Yes, *by* 90%, not *to* 90%).

I'm not sure where between those two extremes PPP termination falls, assuming you're either PPPoE or PPPoL2TP for your DSL tails.  My DSL is typically LAC in the PoPs and big central LNS, not L3 breakout per PoP, so I haven't tested.

Regards,
Tim.