[c-nsp] BGP AS Path manipulation

Jay Nakamura zeusdadog at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 00:08:58 EST 2012

I was trying to simulate customer's network on Qwest MPLS and ran into
a problem duplicating how Qwest BGP behaves with IOS.

With Qwest, If each branch is using BGP, say something like this

Location A <--> Qwest MPLS <--> Location B

Location A and Location B router are using 65512 as AS#.

Location A and B sees the other side's route with AS path of "209 209"
 Where Qwest is taking "209 65512" and replacing the 65512 with 209.

If I try to do remove-private-as on the router, location A still sees
"209 65512" since remove-private-as tag won't remove private AS# to a
peer with the same AS#.

Is there any other configuration I don't know about that I can use on
IOS that could simulate what Qwest is doing?