[c-nsp] forced path MPLS tunnel question

Chris Mason chris at noodles.org.uk
Tue Jan 17 10:48:49 EST 2012

Apologies if I misinterpreted your question, but ....

For MPLS/TE you need an IGP of ISIS or OSPF in conjunction with RSVP
within the network.

The requirement on ISIS or OSPF is because it requires a link state
protocol with visibility of the entire network (EIGRP doesn't cut it).
When you enable RSVP and TE on an interface, certain characteristics
of the interface are included within ISIS LSP (e.g. bandwidth being
the simplest).

When you create a tunnel on a head end router it will use something
called CSPF (Constrained Shortest Path First) to find a path through
your network which matches the constraints you have defined on the
logical tunnel interface (i.e. minimum bandwidth of 100k) - it uses
the extra information in the LSP to work this out. When it has
computed a viable path, it uses RSVP to signal the tunnel using Path
messages.

After all that has happened the tunnel will hopefully come up and then
you need to use static routing or a feature called AutoRoute Announce
or Forwarding Adjacency to actually get traffic to enter the tunnel.

Basically, you need OSPF or ISIS with RSVP and MPLS TE enabled on
every interface you want the tunnel to traverse.

/Chris