[c-nsp] Flow tools

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jan 18 07:56:42 EST 2012

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2012, at 11:23 PM, John Brown wrote:
>
>> 6506-E Sup720-3BXL.
>
> The NetFlow you get from this box won't be operationally useful - many caveats.  Strongly suggest a move to Sup2T and DFC4 (where applicable), if you want good NetFlow from 6500s.

That really depends on his definition of "operationally useful".  At the
traffic levels he mentioned, he'll likely have to do sampled netflow, but
even that is useful for getting an idea of what's going on, identifying
D?DoS targets/sources, verifying abusive traffic, etc.  Sampled netflow is
certainly more operationally useful than no netflow.