[c-nsp] Flow tools

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Jan 18 09:07:51 EST 2012

On 18/01/2012 13:28, Gert Doering wrote:
> And, just maybe, "non-compatibility of Sup2T with your existing stock
> of line cards".  Like, all bus-based cards, and everything with a DFC
> on it.

Gert, hardware upgrades need to happen; otherwise we would all be stuck
using bus interfaces designed in the early 1990s.  Nobody likes paying for
upgrades, but Cisco's 67xx line cards have been properly supported since
2003 - 9 years ago.  If you bought them then on a 4Y depreciation basis,
you would now have had 5 years of free operation.   In a fast-moving world
like networking, this really is unusually stable and a very good
investment.  Moreover, they still have good resale value.

Re: DFCs, either you have distributed forwarding or you don't.  If you do,
you have much greater forwarding capacity.  If you don't, your network will
be cheaper to build.  Shifting bits costs money.

Nick