[c-nsp] ASR9K Line Card selection for H-QOS

Cory Ayers cayers at ena.com
Thu Jan 19 00:53:08 EST 2012

Greetings all,

I am currently investigating the ASR9K as replacement Ethernet aggregation hardware.  Does anyone have a good link that contrasts the QOS capabilities of the different line cards (Low, Medium, High)?  I've been reading the Config Guide on ASR9K QOS, but so far I haven't seen reference to particular cards.  Is the low-queue card (8 queues per port) positioned to replace LAN cards, or can you accomplish more sophisticated H-QOS polices on them?

For example, if I have 20 different classes each matching a different destination MAC.  I build a policy referencing each class and set a distinct shape or police policy for the class, then nest a child policy within the shaped rate to guarantee 15% priority for EF, 15% bandwidth for AF41, and 10% bandwidth for CS3.  Does this require a medium-queue card to accomplish?

Thanks for any pointers!

Cory