[c-nsp] Flow tools- sampling rate on ISR-G2?

Rick Martin rick.martin at arkansas.gov
Fri Jan 20 13:15:31 EST 2012

I apologize for hijacking this thread but it appears we have a lot of NetFlow attention here and I want to keep the momentum for my own use :)

 We currently utilize netflow in conjunction with Cisco MARs for security incident management of our ~2,000 remote sites. We also use CA's NetQoS for Netflow analysis. Our previous model was to gather netflow export from the next hop router (aggregation) instead of the Customer Edge router due to our concern around the WAN bandwidth impact of exporting netflow data.

 When we implemented NetQoS we had to move from the next hop router model to the CE model, I have been pleasantly surprised by the minimal impact on the customer WAN by this change.

 My question and concern is around the true sampling rate of the ISR G2's. Can anybody point me to a document that will illustrate the sampling rate of netflow version 5 on the ISR G2? I have heard a wide range of answers from 100% full flow data down to 10% sampling rate. I have searched CCO and googled for hours with no conclusive hard facts around the netflow sampling rate for these routers.

 Any info would be greatly appreciated.

rick