[c-nsp] side comment on VSS vs 7Ks

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Jan 21 18:15:08 EST 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 03:59:35PM -0600, chris stand wrote:
> > (... and this is reason #1 why we are not using VSS)
>
> We have two data centers, one with VSS one with 2 * 7Ks.
> Both DC have 5548s and UCS chassis with L2 extended between both.
> I can create a 40Gb or 80Gb port channel from the VSS to both 5Ks and
> UCS and run L2 & L3 over it.
>
> Can't do that with 7Ks or anything else I can think of.
>
> Got another 2 chassis solution for redundancy / performance that can
> do that OTHER than VSS ?

Sure, VSS and multi-chassis channels are really really cool.

OTOH, where's your redundancy if there is a catastrophic bug that crashes
the VSS?  Or while you are rebooting due to IOS upgrade (I'm not sure how
well that works with VSS nowadays, I have to admit)?

With distinct chassis, you won't get the cool multichassis features, but
depending on your traffic requirements, they can still be spread across
the boxes (of course you get spanning tree in exchange for VSS if you
need to spread layer 2 things...).

For *us*, not going VSS, and having primary/secondary customer links on
independent 6500s with different IOS trains (SXH/SXI) makes sense.  For
others, it might not.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de