[c-nsp] side comment on VSS vs 7Ks

N. Max Pierson nmaxpierson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 11:04:07 EST 2012

>Why couldn't you set up the two N7000s in a VPC domain and run a 40/80G
vPC down to these various devices?
>Build it as a trunk, with at least two VLANs for your L3 services, and
only build one SVI per N7k on different VLANs.

We do this to connect N7k's @ datacenter1 to VSS @ datacenter2 to transport
SAN traffic. Works quite well in fact. Not sure of your exact topology in
regards to layer 3, but check out the link below from Brad in regards to
the vPC peer-link and routing. As long as you don't have to route via the
peer-link, you should be good with the solution Pete describes.

http://bradhedlund.com/2010/12/16/routing-over-nexus-7000-vpc-peer-link-yes-and-no/

-
max