[c-nsp] 7600 Owners, failure stats wanted

Kimaru Mansour kimaru at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 16:35:38 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm now lab'ing up a 7609-R for deployment in the near future. It has
> a single RSP720-3CXL-GE in it. What I want to know is, all of you that
> have or do run 7600's, what are your real world failure rates of the
> RSP modules?
>
> I can have dual RSPs but how likely are they too fail? I want to know
> from 7600's owners/managers out there, how many SUPs or RSPs have you
> had fail on you (or not if non have failed on you), and how long were
> they in service before they failed (or how long were they in service
> without failing, if that is the case for you)?
>
> Are they more likely to fail the other line cards? It doesn't seem
> very common practice to have to of every card in the chassis and
> provide customers with a port on two switching modules for example, so
> why dual RSPs? Are they *that* much more likely to fail?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> --
> James.
> http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

We have some 7609 doing broadband aggregation. All fitted with single RSP
in chassis but with inter chassis redundancy. As far as I can remember, we
haven't had any hardware failures with the RSP720-3CXL units in the past
3-4 years. The software on the other hand has been buggy. I'd upgrade to at
least 12.2(33)SRE4 if you plan on deploying. Realistically, more
complexity/features usually lead to unknown/known bugs popping up all over
the place. In the end, the justification for doing intra, inter chassis
redundancy or a combination depends on what you're going to use the setup
for and what SLA's you have with your customers.

-K