[c-nsp] ASR as BGP Route Server

Piotr Wojciechowski peper at peper.eu.org
Mon Jan 23 17:12:57 EST 2012

On 1/23/12 18:45 , Michael Lambert wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could comment on experiences (production or otherwise) with BGP route server functionality on the ASR1000 series/IOS-XE.  Can you offer any comparisons (stability, configuration, table sizes, etc) between it and the open-source implementations (quagga, BIRD, OpenBGPD)?

Hi Michael,

ASR1000 is good choice when you plan to deploy RR in your networks. High
performance is one of key factors when you looking for right platform.
It's also scalable and provides flexible CoPP mechanisms, hardware and
software redundancy. Not to mention good price to performance ratio
especially if you are planning to deploy ASR1001 which performance can
be upgraded using license while your network is growing. Table size
depends on how much DRAM you put in it. Check datasheets for details
about how many prefixes you can store.

All other solutions are just software running on Linux or Unix systems
so they are dependent on hardware platform performance and stability.
Not really good option imo.

Regards,

--
Piotr Wojciechowski  (CCIE #25543)  | "The trouble with being a god is
http://ccieplayground.wordpress.com | that you've got no one to pray to"