[c-nsp] Outbound drops on 6748

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Sat Jan 28 10:45:17 EST 2012

What is the type of data? Is it bursty? Is the data coming from an bigger pipe upstream?

You are likely hitting microbursts. The traffic levels you state are measured over an interval (30 seconds minimum probably). During peak activity you can easy overrun the buffers on the 6748 if your upstream data is coming from > 1gb and/or multicast. Since the 6748 has the deepest buffer of any linecards of the 6500, you might have to look at an Arista or Cisco 30xx aggregation switch that can handle the microbursts.