[c-nsp] Router 7200 + GE-PE module

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jan 30 04:23:36 EST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:50:04AM +0000, Ahmad Farisy wrote:
> Is there any big difference for module card in 7200 when we use npe-g1 or npe-g2 comparing to the ole npes for 7200. In my though the chassis was remain the same, so it use the same bus data and will make the transfer data rate will not be as-line-rate as we want.

What's a "module card"?

The NPE-G1 is, of course, more expensive than a NPE-400, and the NPE-G2
will be more expensive than a NPE-G1.  The chassis is the same, but the
G1 and G2 NPEs have on-board GigE ports that are not connected to the PCI
buses, and thus, not subject to PCI bus limitations.

Again: if you need multi-GigE line-rate, do not use a 7200 for that - it's
a very nice and very flexible workhorse, but it's not the king of raw
throughput.  Use a 3750, 6500, ASR1k, etc. for that - depending on the
feature sets you need.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de