[c-nsp] dumb BGP question

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Tue Jan 31 15:42:47 EST 2012

Hi,
I'm suffering from driving spreadsheets instead of routers.

Have a customer that has two routers.

A  and B

A is connected to us
B is connected to two other eBGP neighbors (transit providers)

A and B are connected via iBGP.

A == 7300 widget
B === 9000 widget

Traffic via our link is nearly 100 percent ingress to their router A.
Very little egress from A.

A is basically a router that feeds the link to us.

B is their main "core" router.

Looking at the routes in B, it shows that they are pref'n routes via B's transit providers, instead of via our link through A.

Yet the AS path is much shorter via A to us.

The same route via B is 5 AS's (no padded) and the route via A is 2 AS's

In looking at the route selection priorities, Local-Pref and then AS path should cause our routes to win well before the iBGP / eBGP selection rule(S)

Not sure what I'm missing here. I know its gotta be dumb and in another life I would know the answer.

Thoughts oh wise list ??

Mucho thanks.