[c-nsp] "show ip cache flow" is slow

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Mon Jul 2 01:07:36 EDT 2012

Hank,

I think it is related to CSCtc38611 "need performance enhancements to 'show ip cache flow' on ASR1k"

Symptom:
"show ip cache flow" and "show ip cache flow | include WORD" may take a very long time to run

Conditions:
Several thousand flows being learned

Workaround:
Use "show ip cache x.x.x.x flow" to see specific flows

Basically, ASR1000 is a distributed platform, and the cache info is stored on ESP (forwarding path). It means that every time you issue this command it would have to transfer the whole table to the RP...
If you use the "| include" option, it still has to transfer the whole file, and then apply the regexp on the text...

If you want to do multiple searches on a large table, the best solution would most likely be to copy the output to a file, and then use that file...
If you want to monitor a specific flow, using the specific command above works faster, as it does not transfer the whole file...

Arie