[c-nsp] 7600 w/ WS-SUP720-3B IOS 15.x

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Mon Jul 2 08:03:41 EDT 2012

> Does any of you already heard about the successor of the RSP720
> for the 7600 ?

I don't think it would make a lot of sense, and I don't think we'll ever see
one.

If they rebrand the Sup2T as RSP2T, they would have close to no supported
line cards (only 67xx without DFCs) and, specifically, all of the
high-functionality line cards (ES+) wouldn't be supported. Yes, they could
support 68xx and 69xx and spin new ES cards (ES++), but that would be fairly
expensive. And for what purpose?

If you have a 7600 and you need to replace everything but the chassis and
PSUs to upgrade to higher speeds, does it make sense to do so, when there's
already the ASR 9000 available? A much better router at presumably approx.
the same production cost as a 7600 full of ES+. In my opinion, no.

What they *could* easily do is support the 7600 chassis in the Catalyst 6500
software 15.0 SY. That I think they might, and there's kind of a poetic
justice in it if they do, because everything would then be back to square
one. Maybe, just because of that, they won't: It would look like they made a
mistake when they split the two products ;-) (Hi Gert!)

-A