[c-nsp] C6k power reserved for redundant sup?

alan buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Jul 2 17:37:34 EDT 2012

Hi,

> As Andy points out the 6509-V-E does not have "special" slots (apart
> from the supervisor ones of course). And by "aesthetic reasons" I mean
> things like cable management. It's probably not a big thing since we
> seldomly change anything (it's all supposed to cabled at deployment
> time) but we still like it to be neat.

I prefer my network to be in a working state than neat...but hey, some people
think that the data centre needs to look like a beauty contest  ;-)

this, by the way, DOESNT mean that I like some rats nest of unknown cables.
there are important rules

1) cables must be labelled (at both ends! and bonus points for extra labels at inspection points)
2) cables must run as neatly as to make changes easy and efficient
3) cables should not trap equipment..or be trapped by equipment
4) use the correct coloured cables
5) broken retain clip? cable gets binned.
6) install every cable as if its there for the long term no 'its just a quick bodge/fix that'll go'
(it never goes...its there in a years time...)
7) If a contractor could snag it, they will - ensure cables are secured and contained.

I'm sure theres more but those are the top of the list.  overly neat/hidden cables make
routine work very awkward and frustrating....

I dont think theres a 'cabling' course in the line of CCNA...I wish there were...the number
of sites I've been to...or people I've dealt with that dont care for this makor part
of the network...if the PHY layer cannot be controlled then forget anything travelling on it

alan