[c-nsp] Basic understanding of 6PE and 6VPE

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jul 6 02:41:28 EDT 2012

On (2012-07-06 00:05 +0200), Mark Tinka wrote:

> It is for this reason that we deploy native IPv6 in the
> core, and run BGP in there for IPv6. We refuse to support
> 6PE because it adds complexity.

This is network dependent as pointed out in the thread few times already.
If you do run L3 MPLS VPN and you need to offer it for V6 too. Then it is
the native IPv6 which is the odd-ball adding complexity.

6PE is about as complex as another instance of VPNv4. All complexity is in
network edge and you can deploy it site-by-site as you go.
If you want/need native IPv6 in core, you need to reconfigure your whole
core between your primary and secondary IGP path between two first sites,
just to deploy one customer.

If you aren't running L3 MPLS VPNs, then the situation complexity-wise may
look different, as you need to deploy whole new service/product, instead of
adding AFI to existing.

> When LDPv6 and RSVPv6 become a reality, we shall mirror our
> IPv4 topology and deploy MPLS for IPv6 in the core, but

Yes. And then after unspecified years, 4PE, to remove IPv4 from core, as no
point to have complexity in core to support few legacy customers.

--
  ++ytti