[c-nsp] IOS XR Process Exhausted

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Jul 11 06:41:53 EDT 2012

> I have a few ASR9Ks used as PE routers. Due to customer's requirements, a
> lot of VRFs are created, each contains one OSPF instance. It seems the
> ASR9K has put a limit on the maximum number of OSPF processes.
>
> RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:Jul 11 09:17:26.081 UTC: placed[333]:
> %OS-PLACED-3-PROCESS_EXHAUSTED : Exhausted all instances of placeable
> process ospf possible
>
> Is there any way to know this limit? And how to change it?

the number of OSPF processes is finite (max 10, but best to not exceed 4), so please configure the VRF PE-CE routing instances within the same process (which is different from IOS where you would set up distinct "router ospf ..." per vrf). A common deployment is to use two processes: One as the core IGP, and one for all VRFs.

	oli