[c-nsp] 10G Aggregation?

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Tue Jul 17 12:02:36 EDT 2012

On 17.07.2012 16:23, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> I'm wondering what people think of the 4500X for 10G aggregation.  Due
> to the way my fiber is laid out, I need to aggregate the uplinks from
> 6 buildings back to my core.  Currently I'm using a 3550-12G to
> aggregate the current 1G uplinks but I'm going to be starting the
> process of upgrading the access switches in these buildings to 2960S
> switches soon and would like to take advantage of the 10G uplinks.
> Extreme performance isn't a requirement, and I'll probably skip L3 as
> well and leave the routing to the Nexus 5548s in the core.  If you
> don't like the 4500X what other Cisco switch might you recommend?
>From a price- and performance-view, you may want to take a look at the
Nexus 5500 series ... depending on what all you want to do with your
core switch, it will not only outperform the 4500 (and even 6500)
series, but will most likely be quite a bit cheaper ... eg. 5548 has 32
built-in SFP/SFP+ ports with one expansion slot for additional 16
SFP/SFP+ ports. If you need L3, make sure you don't forget to get the L3
card (which pushes up to 160Gbit/s)

-garry