[c-nsp] 10G Aggregation 7k vs 4500x

chris stand cstand141 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:40:59 EDT 2012

If you are looking at the 7K family - and I am buying 2 more of them
myself make sure that you are not going to want or need to run L2 & L3
over the same port channels like you can on every other platform with
portchannels.

A VPC "portchannel" can not carry both.  You may end up having to have
port channels just for connectivity for L2 and separate port channels
or just plain P2Ps for routing.  This can be an issue if you only have
2 usable links between facilities as I did and did not want to buy
EWDM .
We unfortunately had to tear down our VPCs and make the connections
regular links subject to spanning tree limitations.

This can consume a lot of fiber and a lot of ports especially if you
are a "full-mesh" believer.

With some level of hindsight ... the VSS pairs we have ( networkers
2011 demo - thanks ) make a better platform for us today.