[c-nsp] global.xls?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Jul 18 16:08:07 EDT 2012

On 18/07/2012 20:22, Chuck Church wrote:
> I assume you're talking about the global price list.  If you've got the
> right CCO privileges, you can download it.  It's updated daily.  I think you
> need 'reseller' or 'buys direct from Cisco' status to get access.

Have to say, it is very frustrating that Cisco choose not to make this more
widely available to its customer base even on nda basis.  It's critical to
have resources like this at hand when dealing with budgeting issues.  I'm
guessing that the intention of this policy is to drive customers towards
dealing with account managers, but unfortunately this ends up being
troublesome and time-consuming for both parties.  Want to know the list
price of component X?  Fire an email off to your a/m or partner.  Oops,
forgot components Y and Z; could you supply those too, please.  What if we
rearranged things like this?  Another email.  Then rinse and repeat when
you decide you'd like to compare several other potential design options on
a cost-only basis.

Personally I like tight control over my budgeting and I like playing with
figures and component-based designs.  I might produce 5-10 different
budgetary pricing models per project before being happy to head down a
particular path.  If this were something I did by bouncing a request off an
account manager each time, I'd never get anything done.

It was much better when this information used to be available easily.
Please fix this, Cisco.  You didn't need to break it in the first place.

Nick