[c-nsp] acl on bvi in ios xr (9k) 4.1.2

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Thu Jul 19 15:45:51 EDT 2012

Unfortunately there are good reasons to combine switching and routing.
Otherwise you are stuck with a router on a stick configuration.
I have made my complaints about the lack of support for switching on any device that can handle a full routing table for the next five years.
Our sales guys have relayed those to the technical teams but there hasn't been any feedback or visible movement.
If cisco deploys FIB compression it might solve some of those concerns but the feedback is that the development on that has stopped or is at least not on the road map.

The ASR 9K is a great box but without decent switching support and rapid-pvst it doesn't work well in a managed services/colocation environment.
The Nexus 7K is stuck at the same place the 6500 and 7600 are routing table wise and lack of MPLS support is still a concern.
The Juniper MX series can handle switching and rapid-pvst and upwards to 4 million routes (usual division of IPv4/IPv6 applies but is dynamic)
and we are currently testing it for a replacement for the 6500/7600.

LR Mack McBride
Network Architect