[c-nsp] acl on bvi in ios xr (9k) 4.1.2

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jul 23 05:19:33 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:14:10AM +0200, adam vitkovsky wrote:
> >"one router, two different switches, both switches are standalone and have
> no multi-chassis capabilities".
> If there's the same VLAN  running of the two switches you could terminate it
> on two separate L3 sub-interfaces on the ASR9K /breaking the VLAN subnet in
> two -loosing 4 addresses

Which give you twice the amount of single-point-of-failure, instead of
the desired goal: redundant links to the same L2 network.

> Or instead of the BVI you could use a PW to aggregate the L2 traffic form
> the disjoint VLAN and terminate the PW at ASR9K running L3 for the
> aggregation ring

I'm not sure I understand that, but it doesn't sound any simpler than
a BVI...  (but as long as VPLS is mentioned, it must be great)

> Or you can use the already mentioned L2 switch to aggregate the VLANS from
> the two switches and connect it via trunk to ASR9K

There's no "single L2 switch".  Which is the point of the excercise.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de