[c-nsp] Customer VRF on Loopback

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 21:09:50 EDT 2012

Hi Michael,

There are at least two that I can think of (that we use all the time):

1. For routing protocols (eg. OSPF, BGP). Best practise is to use a loopback address as the router-id for your routing protocols. If you're running dynamic routing between PE-CE (within a vrf) then you'll need a loopback in the vrf for this.

2. L2TP/PPP termination. If you're terminating a PPP session in a vrf then you'll want a loopback IP address in the vrf to facilitate this (ip unnumbered loopback x).

Why do you ask the question ?

regards,
Tony.