[c-nsp] What features require mls qos to be enabled on a 6500?

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 13:19:24 EDT 2012

This all sort of relates back to an issue I brought up a few weeks ago
regarding hardware queueing on 6748 blades in a 6500. We're seeing
another situation where a set of 1-gig links are seeing lots of output
queue drops even though the average traffic rate is pretty low. Since
that traffic is being fed by a 10-gig link, I'm sure this is just
microbursts causing the output queue to fill up.

Some of my co-workers are wondering if we can just disable mls qos
entirely to force the interfaces to FIFO. We are not marking any
traffic on this particular router and we're not acting on any
markings. I seem to recall that COPP requires mls qos, but we're not
using that on this router. Are there other features that might fail if
we disable mls qos?

Thanks,
John