[c-nsp] DOCSIS 3.0 & PPPoE/L2TP compatibility

iptech iptech at northrock.bm
Fri Jul 27 13:57:55 EDT 2012

Hi,

We are a small ISP and have a setup in place with the local cable
company for terminating their users via L2TP for Internet access.
However they have just announced to us that they are moving to a DOCSIS
3.0 compliant setup, and this standard no longer supports PPPoE via
L2TP, and can now only offer PPTP for terminating with us.

We have already begun replacing our Cisco 7206VXR LNS devices with Cisco
ASR 1Ks and as you will be aware the older 7206 can do both L2TP and
PPTP, whereas the ASR1k can do only L2TP.

I do not have any experience in the cable arena, but from what I have
read in the DOCSIS standards, each version has maintained backwards
compatibility, therefore I am very surprised our CableCo has claimed
they cannot do PPPoE/L2TP anymore.

The CMTS they are currently using is a Cisco, and now they are moving to
a new ARRIS CMTS. I have not been able to find any information on this
device and what it can do or not.

With the ASR1K marked as the natural upgrade path for LNS functions,
therefore I cannot believe that it is not fully compatible with DOCSIS 3.0.

 From what I can tell the only way to accommodate the new CMTS PPTP
connections will be to terminate them on the legacy 7206VXR, which at
the end of the day is a backwards step.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can give me any pointers and/or
suggestions on this matter, so I can understand it and move it forward.

FYI: The driver for the CMTS upgrades is to offer higher bandwidth
access speeds 15mb-20mb.

Thank you.