[c-nsp] MPLS labels with VPNv4 blackholing

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Tue Jun 5 14:59:49 EDT 2012

Hi Oli,

In the strictest sense, yes, but if one were so inclined one could also state that any RR is a PE simply by the fact that it's running BGP :) Our network is very small - I can actually remember all the IPs of the core routers and we don't have any full P routers - so a distinct RTBH router is not a very realistic option for us. Currently we don't even have RRs, I'm actually building them right now

> Well, the FEC for vpnv4 is defined by the originator of the routes, and
> with per-prefix the FEC is defined to be different ;-)
>
> So if you're worried about the distinct labels, you need to originate
> the pfx on a platform/version which supports per-vrf label feature.
> Looks like recent 15.1S images support per-vrf labels on the c7200..

Excellent - I hadn't thought of newer software. Been used to looking at the 6500 architecture for so long that I just assumed that if it was a platform-specific feature, nothing else would work the same way! With a typical 1:1 prefix:interface relationship I had gotten it into my head that labels were actually based on physical forwarding path, and that the per-VRF labeling on 6500s invoked some dark magic with pyres and chanting in the TCAM. ;)

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Ross