[c-nsp] m-vpn

Christian plymouth78 at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 8 11:11:00 EDT 2012

Unfortunately the Juniper documentation sucks (don't they have Visio
or equivalent?).

The RFC6514 combined with RFC6513 is horrible long and quite complex
because of a dozen of different options how to implement and run and
ways what to use for LSP-setup/signaling, c-state distribution,
de/multiplexing vpns and aggregating mdts and stuff.

Somehow I don't like to run BGP to advertise c-state when customer
plays multicast.
Cisco seems to concentrate on mLDP only (with BGP for autodiscovery
with mdt-safi), and dynamic S-PMSI triggered by multicast-rate. PIM
creates the c-to-LSP state on the ingress PE.

Juniper implements the most complicated way in my opinion. NG means
running BGP for auto-discovery, BGP for c-state advertisements *and*
pruning, and then RSVP-TE for LSP setup.

What to do now? Both RFCs are from Juniper and Cisco, but both
implement totally different concepts, one bloated, the other a bit
proprietary (or not?).

Is it now Cisco's fault that we don't have interoperability, because
they didn't want to implement the tainted BGP-way? There are so many
options and possibilities in the RFC to implement mVPN so that
interoperability is in either case very unlikely to happen for the
next years.

How difficult can Multicast be? Should we wait another 10 years for
good solution?