[c-nsp] VS-S720-10G alternative

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Wed Jun 13 09:01:46 EDT 2012

I have a requirement for a 1G/10G access switch also for a meet-me room
project I am working on, and the 4500-X ticks all the boxes - except for
the MPLS capability.  The lack of this feature means I will likely have
to backhaul data back to an MPLS capable switch or an ASR1k in another
location.

I don't need a unit which can handle 24x10G (240G) of sustained
throughput but I do need to plan for a handful of 10G handoffs which may
do 2 or 3 Gbps in the near future.  Two 10G uplink ports isn't enough,
and the 7600 platform looks to be ridiculously expensive for this sort
of thing (not to mention space and power requirements).

A cross between a 4500-X and ME3600X/ME3800X would be an absolutely
killer box.  Then again, I guess that would involve Enterprise and
Service Provider BU's within Cisco talking (Gert?) ;)

Reuben